Plan For The Future With Confidence

Plan For The Future With Confidence

Planning for the care of your special needs child

On Behalf of | Dec 10, 2021 | Disability, Family Finance Law

If you’re in your 50s or older and have a disabled son or daughter living at home, your children may live longer than you despite their disability due to medical advances. You’ve cared for your child well into adulthood and increased the chances that your child will live a life far longer than what doctors anticipated when your baby was born. If you’re a Maryland resident, here are some important steps to take when it comes to special needs planning to ensure your disabled child continues to live a healthy, happy life once you’re no longer here to take care of them.

Contact a local agency for intellectually disabled individuals

Get in touch with a special needs planning case manager in Maryland to learn the options you have for your child’s extended care. You may be able to place your child in a community setting that allows them to live in their own space while having direct access to medical and psychological care. Your caseworker can also refer you to family therapists and support groups that will help you through the process of financial planning and give you the peace of mind of knowing your son or daughter will have the resources they need for the rest of their lives.

Don’t assume your loved ones will take your place

In some cases, your siblings or in-laws will volunteer to care for your disabled child when you pass away. If you’d rather have a family member assume responsibility for your child in the event of your death, have a family meeting to discuss the requirements for caring for your child. Your conversation may reveal that your loved ones may mean well, but don’t have the resources or room in their homes to tend to your child. It’s better to have this information ahead of time so you can make arrangements for your child’s future.